Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Time Flies When You're Having Fun

Wow! It's been a slow month of postings, hasn't it? Mostly due to fighting off secondary infections, which seems to have been ongoing since our return from Disneyland at the end of July.

We've been sharing this awful sinus infection on and off through August and September. We are all on anti-biotics now and slowly recovering, thank God!

I tell you what, having colds with chemotherapy is so much harder to deal with than without. That's probably an obvious statement; but the side effects you feel with a cold seem much more magnified, than regular cold syptoms - as when your not having chemotherapy.

Anyway, it's been a struggle being sick w/various colds, while going through chemo, taking care of my two kids...thank goodness I have wonderful family and friends to help support us in our routines.

So, back to my results from my tests that I promised to give further discourse to. Good news! Dr. P said unequivocally, that the dropping cancer markers on the CA-15 test, for my situation, definitely means the cancer is being killed off! Ya-hoo to infinity! My marker on this test is now at 57, the normal range is 0-31.

Regarding the MRI results; this showed I still have 3 "subtle" lesions on my liver and that my bones are still "mottled" and "abnormal". So, more chemotherapy to be sure that we clean up my liver, and do as much as we can for my bones to repair themselves, (which can take years to repair themselves) per the doctor.

In the meantime, I told him that while chemotherapy was a "pain", I was loathe to stop it because of my desire to do all available to ensure success. He indicated that we can do chemotherapy, on that note, for as long as my body can tolerate it. Hey,I'm game! I'd rather do this now as long as possible; hopefully for the very last time, rather than quit early just to maybe have it come back again. Who wants to go through this yet again? Not I! I've done this twice now, I'm not looking for a third time, that's for sure.

I mean, I've already got about zero hair, less than 1/2 of my eyelashes are left...why not go all the way while the "chips are down" in the beauty catagory already? I hope, with God's grace, I'll never have to look at my "chemo beauty" ever again. God, really, has blessed me with a wonderful doctor, family and friends who pray for me, my own prayers (because for many years - I didn't pray) , and His Grace of giving me another challenge. One that I've learned, and am still learning, to walk through.

People tell me "You're so strong" but that is coming from God, I'm sure. I lean on God just like any other close, personal friend, in this situation would. God is my dearest, most wonderful friend.

Thank God too for good doctors who know what they are doing. If you don't think you have that, go get one! You are your own best advocate, after all.
And, doctors are humans too. Some are more knowledgable at what they do. Some don't offer everything there is to know, even an excellent doctor, such as mine. Read the story below to get what I mean.

My dear friend with anal cancer, who appears to also to be beating that cancer - she went (just in case) to San Franciso to doctors at the main hospital (university connected?, not sure).

Anyway, she found out our Dr. was right on about every thing he was doing for her. Yay!
However, they did find out that for follow up checks over the next few years, she should get biopsies of the site in order to be sure. Turns out our Doctor had not mentioned that, either because our area has no one to refer her to for that, or, no one the doctor has confidence in. So, he was relieved to know she was able and willing to go to SF for that as needed, that she would have that level of follow up. It is interesting to note that our doctor, who is so thorough about what he does share with us (which is a tremendous amout), didn't mention this to her, because it's not available here. Please people! Remember every opinion can offer something; second opinions can be extremely important. Or confusing, too.
Remember, go to the best, and only the best. Specialits in their area.

Last thing, my son turns sixteen this Saturday! I so want to do something wonderful for him; kayaking off the coast in the ocean kelp forests, or bi-plane rides at a local place we have here, or something he suggests. Zip. No. Nada. Typical sixteen year-old who has a girlfriend! Can't do anthing without her. Which is ok with me, she's a decent girl. So, having cleared kayaking with the girlfriends mom, then he still doesn't get behind it. She's excited to go, he's not. C'mon my son! I love him with all of me, yet all he wants? An X-Box 360! Something to sit in his room with. Again. (We have a very old X-Box he has now). Frustrating to appreciate life and adventure as much as I do, and have a son, who (at this point in life) juat wants to play video games. Geez. I only hope this is just a stage.

Well, that's enough out of me!

With Gratitude For All,

Elizabeth Gregory

No comments:

Post a Comment