Friday, August 7, 2009

Well, I've been sick...

"Well, I"ve been sick" sounds like a funny (odd) thing to say when you're going through cancer treatment! But, that's what happened and was probably a predictable result to going to Disneyland and traipsing around there like nobody's business. As a result, exhausted as I was even with resting daily and using the electric scooter - I still picked up somebody else's little germie that hitchhiked on home with me, and boy, packed a bit of a wallop, it did!

One thing to be cautious of all you cancer caregivers and patients - if your temperature starts rising at all - go to the hospital asap! My oncologist was crystal clear about this during my first time with chemo, six years ago, and thank the Lord that I heard it and paid attention! Because one day, boom! A little sore throat, 98 degrees jumped to 99 and then 100 - all within a few hours, and I was on a very strong medicine that cut the germ off at the pass, so to speak.

And, lo and behold, the same thing again about the third day home from the trip. This time I was so exhausted I guess that my mental status was affected somewhat because I really only remember a wee part at the emergency room, and the drive there and back. I also get emotional when I am sick so I cry everything instead of talk, which annoys and embarasses me terribly. So, of course I try to choke the tears back, swallowing hard - which makes the sore throat hurt more - and apologize constantly, when I really shouldn't worry about it I guess, cause I am sick. I mean, what the hey?! I don't feel so good. I should allow myself the right to cry and be a bit of a baby about feeling sick without beating myself up for it. Really girl! Sometimes I'm just a nut.

Anyway, I'm onto my third-ish day now of the rescue medicine and my hoarse voice is starting to return to a normal growl, and I'm less wiped out every time I get up or down. I was so short of breath for a while there that just standing up made me almost pant. Sometimes I think I'm "too strong" for my own good because I probably should have immediately rested for two or three days upon return home, instead of running around putting everything away like normal. I like to forget I am dealing with cancer sometimes because I don't intend to be this way forever, or even for much longer. As I've said before, I expect this is a temporary situation where I am learning and growing; whereby I will be healed and healthy again when all is said and done.

So, I'm pacing myself and therefore, this will be a short post so that I can keep resting.

Thankfully, I am getting better and that's a blessing!

With Gratitude for All-
Elizabeth Gregory

No comments:

Post a Comment